Acting Under Secretary presents AF small business achievement awards
Acting Under Secretary of the Air Force Dr. Jamie Morin speaks at the Air Force Small Business awards ceremony at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio., Dec. 17, 2012. Morin visited the base to recognize individual and unit efforts in support of the Air Force Small Business Program, and meet with senior leaders and industry partners to emphasize the Air Force’s commitment to small business initiatives. (Photo by Michelle Gigante)
Posted 1/10/2013 Updated 1/10/2013
by Brian Brackens
Air Force Materiel Command
1/10/2013 - WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio -- In a Dec. 17 ceremony held on the 109th anniversary of Wilbur and Orville Wright's first powered flight, the Air Force honored 15 Air Force employees and organizations for significant contributions to the Air Force Small Business Program.
Acting Under Secretary of the Air Force Dr. Jamie Morin was the keynote speaker for the event.
"Today is a great day because I have the opportunity to recognize extraordinary performers," said Morin. "The Air Force relies more than ever on innovative Airmen such as the folks that are doing exemplary work in support of the Air Force's Small Business Program."
Joseph McDade, director of the Air Force Office of Small Business Programs, said he is proud of the hard work and dedication of the many professionals in the Air Force and Small Business community that helped the service meet its goals for Small Business.
"No one is working harder for our Air Force each and every day than those of you being honored today," he said. "It makes me proud that we rose to a level of performance that exceeded expectations."
Among the recipients was Air Force Materiel Command, who received the top major command award for developing new initiatives to increase small business participation in the face of declining budgets. During fiscal year 2012, the command awarded $3.9 billion in contracts to small businesses.
During his visit, Morin also spoke with senior leaders about the importance of strengthening and improving the Small Business Program in the future.
"The pace of change is one of the fundamental challenges facing our Air Force today," Morin said. "We have technological, geopolitical and economic changes which create uncertainty. Despite these challenges, the Air Force remains committed to improving our Small Business Program. When we talk about being more innovative, more rapidly responsive, and finding more efficient ways to provide capabilities to our troops, what comes to mind are our small business partners."
Morin also thanked local small business owners and acknowledged that the Air Force benefits when it utilizes the talent and skill of small business contractors.
"As a vital segment of our Nation's economic strength and recovery, the entrepreneurial spirit of small businesses injects agility, innovation and essential competition into the marketplace," Morin said. "Promoting small business not only provides value to the taxpayer, but it helps us fulfill the Air Force mission."
Morin's visit to Wright-Patterson was part of a full day of activities aimed at recognizing superior support of the Air Force Small Business Program. Morin also visited Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., where he recognized an additional three award recipients and met with base and community leaders.
Seymour Johnson received the top installation award, leading the Air Force with an unprecedented 96 percent contracting rate with small business, far exceeding the Congressional standard of 23 percent.
The Air Force Small Business Program is tasked with promoting small businesses nation-wide to obtain innovative and efficient solutions to Air Force needs. Often, these businesses are asked to develop technology that is used to give the Air Force a significant advantage in its war-fighting capabilities.
Recipients of the 2012 Air Force Small Business Program awards include:
Director's Award for Senior Executive Service/General Officer Outstanding Leadership
- Maj. Gen. Wendy Masiello, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, The Pentagon
- Randall Culpepper, Air Force Program Executive Office for Combat and Mission Support, The Pentagon
- Dr. Steven Butler, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
Small Business Specialist Award- Individual
- Connie Robben, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
- Kyle Donah, 4th Contracting Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C., Air Combat Command
Special Achievement-Small Business Unit Award - Unit
- 7th Contracting Squadron, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, Air Combat Command
Special Achievement-Small Business Award - Individual
- Gabriel McKenna-Groves, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., Air Education and Training Command
Major Command Small Business Director's Award - Individual
- Becky Carpenter, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force, Va.
Market Research Award - Team
- Eric Halter, Sue Tormey, Annette Dunbar, Lynne Imhoff, Michael Eidsaune, Kendra Kershner, Lisa Thibeault, Denise Trapp, Gregory Koesters, Gregory Turner, Jason Cadek, Lance Pritchard and Lou Knapp, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Denise Stice Memorial Award-Demonstration of creativity and persistence
- Mary Urey, Enterprise Sourcing Group, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, Air Force Materiel Command
Tandy Weaver Memorial Award- Community outreach and involvement
- Renee Gifford, 82nd Contracting Squadron, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, Air Education and Training Command
Small Business Director's "Beyond Goals" Award - Professional achievement, initiative and innovation
- Barbara Liptak, Enterprise Sourcing Group, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio Air Force Materiel Command
Small Business Top Installation Award
- Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, Air Combat Command
Top MAJCOM Award
- Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio