Health and Fitness Expo set for March 27|
Posted 3/14/2013 Updated 3/14/2013
by Sarah Olaciregui
66th Air Base Group Public Affairs
3/14/2013 - HANSCOM AIR FORCE BASE, Mass. -- Demonstrations, classes, healthy snacks, guest speakers, wellness tips and community offerings will all be a part of the Hanscom Health and Fitness Expo March 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Fitness and Sports Center.
"We'll have a number of terrific speakers and activities, as well as lots of exhibitors and a few free drawings," said Steve Grant, Health and Fitness Expo event organizer.
Guest speakers will present information on topics such as sports psychology, cardiology, chiropractic care and strength training. Other offerings include a New Balance Good Form Running Clinic, Kamate Fitness, fencing and more.
Free fitness classes will also take place during the day. Attendees can take a Warrior Fitness Training class from 10 to 11 a.m. or 1 to 2 p.m., and a free Zumba class will take place from 11 a.m. to 12 noon.
A number of area exhibitors will also be on hand throughout the event, including Marathon Sports, Whole Foods, USA Track and Field New England and the Home Base Program. On-base exhibitors will feature the Health and Wellness Center and Civilian Health Promotion Services.
In addition, attendees can enjoy a free chair massage, racquetball instruction class, wall climbing and several other activities.
"We're really excited about all of the participants at this year's event," said Grant. "We hope the Hanscom community will come out and see what's available on base and in the surrounding area."
Anyone interested in attending may pre-register at the fitness center, but pre-registration is not mandatory. To register in advance, call 781-225-6630.
Note: No government endorsement of participants is intended.
Featured speakers, classes and exhibitors (schedule subject to change)
- Jack Fultz, 1976 Boston Marathon champion and Tufts sports psychology lecturer: 10:10-10:30 a.m.
- Dr. Aaron Baggish, Cardiovascular Performance Program, Associate Director, Division of Cardiology, Mass General Hospital: 10:35-10:55 a.m.
- New Balance Good Form Running Clinic: 11 a.m.-12 noon
- Dr. Ian Nurse, chiropractor, Active Recovery Boston: 12:05-12:25 p.m.
- Kevin Carr, Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning: 12:30-12:50 p.m.
- Kamate Fitness: 12:55-1:25 p.m.
- Fencing: 1:30-2 p.m.
- Warrior Fitness Training demo classes: 11 a.m.-12 noon and 1-2 p.m.
- Zumba demo class: 11 a.m.-12 noon
- Marathon Sports, Cambridge
- Whole Foods
- Health and Wellness Center
- Civilian Health Promotion Services
- Two-time Olympian Barbara Parker
- USA Track and Field-New England
- Greater Boston Track Club
- Greater Lowell Road Runners
- Mystic Runners
- Racquetball instruction class
- Wall climbing
- Free chair massage
- PT4U Physical Therapy
- Home Base Program
- Community Rowing
- Coach Lou Ristaino, former New England marathon champion
- Coach John Molvar, UMass Lowell Assistant Coach
- Shoe recycling, bring gently used shoes for reuse