Stay fit and ‘be active’ this spring|
Posted 3/27/2013 Updated 3/27/2013
by Tech. Sgt. Jennifer Foster
66th Air Base Group Public Affairs
3/27/2013 - HANSCOM AIR FORCE BASE, Mass. -- Throughout April and May, Air Force Materiel Command will be promoting its "Be Active" physical activity initiative. This initiative involves the AFMC Wellness Support Center website, www.AFMCwellness.com, and the physical activity log. The goal is for participants to log minutes of physical activity for a minimum of 840 minutes, or 14 hours, during the months of April and May.
Individuals who complete this task will receive a completion award and the top five individuals at each base with the most physical activity minutes logged will receive an AFMC travel blanket
According to the Centers for Disease Control, regular physical activity can help control body weight, reduce risk of cardiovascular disease, improve brain function and mood and strengthen bones and muscles. Healthy employees have greater productivity levels, lower absenteeism, higher energy levels, improved job attitude and work performance and lower health care costs.
Participants must have an online account at www.AFMCwellness.com and Department of Defense civilians need to have a current Health Risk Assessment. Active duty members do not need to complete an HRA to participate.
To enroll in the "Be Active" Initiative, log on to the website during the enrollment period and then accomplish the following:
· Start logging activity in the activity log tracker located on the website home page under Personal Logs.
· To be eligible for the completion award, participants need to log 840 minutes between April 1 and May 31.
· The "Be Active" initiative is designed to be progressive with activity frequency. An example program is listed below:
· Weeks 1-3: Log 30 minutes at least 2 days a week
· Weeks 4-6: Log 30 minutes at least 3 days a week
· Weeks 7-8: Log 30 minutes at least 4 days a week
· Week 9: Log 30 minutes at least 5 days a week
To aid participants in logging their hours, Civilian Health Promotion Services will be offering these "get moving" activities:
Aging and Exercise:
- April 8 from 10 until 11 a.m. at the Education and Training Center, Building 1728, Room C.
- April 16 from 11 a.m. until noon at the Health and Wellness Center, Building 1540.
Get Walking! (class and group walk):
- April 15 from 11 a.m. until noon at the Health and Wellness Center, Building1540.
- April 23 from 11 a.m. until noon at the Brown Building, Building 1305, first floor conference room.
Benefits of Exercise:
- April 9 from 11 a.m. until noon at the Brown Building, Building 1305, first floor conference room.
- April 24 from 10 until 11 a.m. at the Education and Training Center, Building 1728, Room E.
Additionally, cardiac risk profile screenings will be held every Thursday and Friday from 8 until 10 a.m. at the CHPS office in the Health and Wellness Center, Building 1540. Appointments may also be scheduled Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. until 3:45 p.m.
Blood pressure screenings will be held every Thursday and Friday from 8 until 10 a.m. at the CHPS office in the Health and Wellness Center, Building 1540. Appointments may also be scheduled Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. until 3:45 p.m.
Participants should speak with their physician before beginning any exercise or physical activity program to make sure it is safe.
For more information or to schedule appointments, contact Hanscom CHPS at 781-225-6377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.