Chief Master Sergeant Henry Hayes is the Command Chief for the 66th Air Base Group and Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts. He advises the base commander on matters concerning the welfare, health, morale, proper utilization and progress of a workforce of more than 10,000 active duty, Reserve, National Guard and Department of Defense civilians and contractors. The service population includes the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center's Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence and Networks (C3I&N) and Battle Management Directorates, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Lincoln Laboratory, MITRE Federally Funded Research, the Massachusetts National Guard Joint Forces Headquarters and various geographically separated units. He evaluates the quality of leadership development, management and supervisory training, oversees the professional military education programs and the First Term Airman's Center. He also chairs enlisted boards, issues directives and other guidance that falls within the Command Chief scope. The base also supports 140,000 retired military personnel, annuitants and spouses, and over 2,500 housing residents.
Chief Hayes entered the Air Force in August 1990. He graduated from the aircraft structural maintenance specialist course at Chanute Air Force Base, Illinois, in 1991. Throughout his career, Chief Hayes has filled a myriad of roles including aircraft structural maintenance craftsman, additional-duty First Sergeant, Academic Affairs Superintendent and First Sergeant. His assignments include bases in Texas, California, Utah, Georgia, Alabama, the Pentagon, Maryland and Virginia. The chief also served overseas in Japan and deployed in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Command First Sergeant and 8F000 Functional Area Manager, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia.
1994 Airman Leadership School, Edwards AFB, California
1998 Aircraft Structural Maintenance Craftsman School, Pensacola NAS, Fla.
1998 Air Combat Command Maintenance Instructor Course, Hill AFB, Utah
1999 Associates Degree in airframe technology, Community College of the Air Force 2001 Instructor System Designer/Principles of Instruction, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2002 Basic Instructor Course, Keesler AFB, Mississippi
2003 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Robins AFB, Georgia
2003 Bachelor of Arts degree in biblical studies and theology, Minnesota Graduate School of Theology
2005 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Course 12, Correspondence Course
2007 Joint SNCO PME Course I, Correspondence, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2009 First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2009 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2009 Associates Degree in human resources, Community College of the Air Force
2016 Command Chief Master Sergeants Training Course, Air Force Chiefs' Group
2017 Joint SNCO PME Course II, Correspondence, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2017 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Institute For Defense & Business, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2018 Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1. August 1990 - September 1990, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. September 1990 - November 1990, Student, Technical Training School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. November 1990 - February 1991, Student, Technical Training School, Chanute AFB, Illinois
4. February 1991 - October 1992, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Apprentice, 7th Field Maintenance Squadron, Carswell AFB, Texas
5. October 1992 - October 1996, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Journeyman, 412th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. October 1996 - November 1999, Aircraft Battle Damage Repair Craftsman, 649th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
7. November 1999 - April 2005, Aircraft Battle Damage Repair Craftsman/Instructor, 653rd Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga. (February 2003 – May 2003, Aircraft Battle Damage Repair Craftsman, 379th Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
8. April 2005 - March 2009, Superintendent, Academic Affairs, Additional Duty First Sergeant, Headquarters Squadron Officer College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. March 2009 - December 2010, First Sergeant, 42nd Medical Group, 42nd Air Base Wing, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (May 2010 - October 2010, First Sergeant, 376th Expeditionary Mission Support Group, Transit Center at Manas, Kyrgyz Republic)
10. December 2010 -May 2011, First Sergeant, Electronic Systems Center, Detachment 1, Maxwell AFB- Gunter Annex, Ala.
11. May 2011 - May 2014, First Sergeant, 730th Air Mobility Squadron, Yokota AB, Japan (May 2013 - October 2013, First Sergeant, 379th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
12. May 2014 - September 2014, First Sergeant, 811th Force Support Squadron, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. September 2014 - July 2015, First Sergeant, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
14. July 2015 - August 2017, Command First Sergeant, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
15. August 2017 - Present, Command Chief, 66th Air Base Group, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one silver leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon
Humanitarian Service Medal with bronze star
1994 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School
1994 Air Force Flight Test Center, Blue Eagles Honor Guard, Airman of the Year 2003 Suma Cum Laude, Minnesota Graduate School of Theology
2006 Squadron Officer College SNCO of the Year
2006 Squadron Officer College Ten Outstanding Young Americans nominee 2007 Air University Lance P. Sijan Award nominee
2007 Air Education & Training Command SNCO of the Year
2007 Air Education & Training Command’s Air Force 12 Outstanding Airman of the Year nominee 2009 Commandant’s Award, First Sergeant Academy
2010 42nd Air Base Wing First Sergeant of the Year
2011 515th Air Mobility Operations Group First Sergeant of the Year 2013 515th Air Mobility Operations Group First Sergeant of the Year
2013 515th Air Mobility Operations Group National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Wilkins Service Award nominee
"SILENCE, Rediscovering Your Need For Moments of Solitude," 2008
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant March 2014
(Current as of February 2018)