Col. Chad R. Ellsworth is Commander, 66th Air Base Group, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass. The group supports the Air Force acquisition mission, providing base, regional and readiness support for the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, three Program Executive Offices, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, a variety of other tenant organizations and a joint-service military housing community. The group also provides direct support to approximately 200 geographically separated units and approximately 130,000 retired military personnel, annuitants and spouses living in the six-state New England and New York Area.
Colonel Ellsworth entered the Air Force in 1993 through Basic Military Training. He received his commission through Officer Training School in 2000 after completing his bachelor's degree from Faulkner University. He is a career logistician who has served in various positions at the Wing, Major Command, Secretary of the Air Force, Joint Staff and Office of the Secretary of Defense levels.
Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Ellsworth served as a National Defense Fellow, International Security Program at Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Cambridge, Mass.
1999 Associate of Science in Transportation Management, Community College of the Air Force
1999 Honor Graduate, Bachelors of Business Management, Faulkner University, Ala.
2000 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Top-Third and Outstanding Contributor Graduate, Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Fellow, Master of Arts in Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2009 Strategic Policy Intern (IDE), Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2009 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2010 Distinguished Graduate, Advanced Logistics Readiness Officer Course, McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
2011 Advanced Program in Logistics & Technology, Kenan-Flagler School of Business, UNC Chapel Hill, N.C.
2011 Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JPME II), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2013 Air War College (Correspondence)
2018 National Defense Fellow (SDE), Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
1. November 1993-February 1995, Traffic Management Apprentice, 39th Transportation Squadron, Incirlik AB, Turkey
2. February 1995-August 1997, Traffic Management Journeyman (Deployed 4404th Wing (Provisional), Southwest Asia), 65th Transportation Squadron, Lajes Field Azores, Portugal
3. August 1997-January 2000, NCOIC, Student Issues Branch, Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. January 2000-April 2000, Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. April 2000-June 2002, Squadron Section Commander, Flight Commander and Air Terminal Operations Center Duty Officer, 436th Aerial Port Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
6. June 2002-December 2002, Chief of Weapons and Mobility Bags and Flight Commander Traffic Management Office, 31st Logistics Readiness Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
7. December 2002-June 2005, Executive Officer, Command Logistics Readiness Inspector (Deployed as Chief, NATO Channel Flight Coordination Cell, Joint Forces Command, Naples, Italy), Office of Inspector General, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. June 2005-August 2006, Director USAF Inspectors Course, Office of the Inspector General, Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. August 2006-June 2008, Air Force Intern, Chairman’s Action Group, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; Congressional Activities, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2008-October 2008, Air Force Nuclear Logistics Surety Team Member, Directorate of Logistics Readiness, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. October 2008–September 2009, Operations Officer, 5th Expeditionary Air Mobility Squadron, Abdullah Al-Mubarak Air Base, Southwest Asia
12. September 2009-June 2012, Deputy Program Manager, Military Assistant to the Director J-3/4, Joint Logistics Operations Officer, Directorate of Logistics Operations (J-3), Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
13. June 2012-July 2014, Commander, 90th Logistics Readiness Squadron, F. E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
14. July 2014-June 2015, Deputy Commander, 90th Mission Support Group, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
15. June 2015–June 2017, Executive Officer to the Air Force Materiel Command Commander, Chief, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. July 2017-July 2018, National Defense Fellow, International Security Program, Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Cambridge, Mass.
17. August 2018-Present, Commander, 66th Air Base Group, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS:
1. September 2009 - June 2012, Deputy Program Manager, Military Assistant to the Director J-3/4, Joint Logistics Operations Officer, Directorate of Logistics Operations (J-3), Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
MAJOR DECORATIONS AND AWARDS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
AF Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Acquisition Professional Development Program – Life Cycle Logistics Level I
Joint Qualified Officer – Level III
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant April 7, 2000
First Lieutenant April 7, 2002
Captain April 7, 2004
Major Nov. 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2013
Colonel May 1, 2018
(Current as of August 2018)