Air Force expands financial readiness training
By Mark Wyatt, 66th Air Base Group Public Affairs
/ Published December 06, 2019
HANSCOM AIR FORCE BASE, Mass. – Air Force officials have implemented new financial readiness requirements for Airmen to complete throughout their military career.
The changes, which took effect last month, direct all military members across the Air Force to receive financial readiness training during career “touchpoints.”
“This training will help Airmen become more financially prepared throughout the life cycle of their military career,” said Kathleen Vaillancourt, Hanscom’s Airman and Family Readiness Center financial readiness consultant.
Airmen will be required to complete training at the following career touchpoints:
- Initial entry (completed at basic training or equivalent for the officer corps)
- Arrival at first duty station
- Permanent Change of Station for captains and senior airmen and below
- Promotions for major and staff sergeants and below
- Thrift Savings Plan vesting at the two-year time-in-service mark
- Continuation Pay at 12 years time in service
- Transition to Reserve component, separation or retirement
- Birth or adoption of first child
Training for some of these touchpoints, including initial entry, first duty station, continuation pay or transitioning off active duty, are existing and will not change.
Financial training for pre-deployment is available online in the Air Force Distance Learning System, or ADLS, or in-person here through the 66th Force Support Squadron’s A&FRC.
Personnel have the option of completing the following training through MyVector or in-person at the Airman and Family Readiness Center: PCS moves, promotion, TSP vesting, birth of a child, marriage or divorce.
According to Vaillancourt, those military members choosing to attend the in-person option at the A&FRC are welcome to invite their spouse to attend.
“Financial Readiness is a family affair and directly contributes to the mission readiness of our Airmen,” said Vaillancourt.
Post-deployment financial readiness training is also available through MyVector or in-person.
For further information, contact Vaillancourt at 781-225-2765.