HANSCOM AIR FORCE BASE, Mass. – Hanscom Air Force Base plans to move into Phase 2B, also known as the “Vigilant phase,” of its multiphase Return to Full Capacity July 20.
However officials note that the transition depends on key health metrics continuing to move in the right direction. If that changes, either before or after July 20, the base commander would strongly consider keeping the installation in, or returning it to, Phase 2A.
“These are health- and risk-based decisions,” said Col. Katrina Stephens, installation commander. “Right now data trends in Massachusetts and at Hanscom are positive, and as long as they keep going in that direction, we want to continue our careful return to full capacity. Of course that’s subject to change if the numbers change. We will not take unwarranted risks. Taking care of our people is my number one priority.”
Officials said that while the installation transitions to Phase 2B, employees who have been successfully teleworking should continue to do so, and should not return to the installation prior to being formally notified by a supervisor.
“Communication is imperative throughout this process, and our leaders are working to ensure the safest course of action for our community,” said Stephens.
The commander has decided to move the installation forward into Phase 2B based on current data and previously established criteria, including the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ plan to progress into its Phase 3, Step 1, as of July 6. The base is following a trailing approach to the state’s reopening with a period of added time to evaluate any effects of those changes.
Throughout Phase 2B, base personnel may notice greater facility availability and group gathering allowances depending on venue square footage. A complete list of what services and facilities will be available in Phase 2B, and other phases, can be found at www.hanscom.af.mil/Coronavirus.
Officials are still working through considerations of facility reopening of the Minuteman Commons, conference center, base pool and barbershop. Additional information will be forthcoming soon.
During this transition, the base commander extends her gratitude to the members of Team Hanscom, whose adherence to base and local guidance has enabled the phase progression.
“We would not be here without the men and women of Hanscom who continue to do their part, ensuring the health and safety of our families and teammates as we continue to pave the road toward full capacity,” said Stephens.
Hanscom AFB entered Phase 2A on June 22.
All additional changes will be updated at the webpage cited above.