by Staff Sgt. Paul Cram and Investigator Ashley Brassard
66th Security Forces Squadron
10/10/2013 - HANSCOM AIR FORCE BASE, Mass. -- It's that time of year again when children dress up as their favorite super hero, fairy-tale princess or ghoulish monster and go door to door for sweet, tasty treats.
It's also that time of year when parents should be especially aware of the dangers associated with Halloween. The 66th Security Forces Squadron will be hosting this year's "Halloween Watch."
Here are a few safety tips to share with your children this Halloween:
· Children under the age of 12 should not be out at night without adult supervision.
· If older children are out without parental supervision, they should stick to familiar, well lit areas.
· Children must make eye contact with drivers before crossing a street in front of them.
· Costumes should be both safe and creative; make sure they are the right size to prevent tripping.
· Parents should inspect treats for any signs of tampering before allowing children to eat them.
Hanscom trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 31 from 5:30 to 8 p.m.
Security forces personnel and volunteers will patrol on foot to ensure a safe and incident-free trick-or-treating for children on base. Security forces officials encourage all residents and visitors operating a vehicle on base to drive slowly - you never know what "creature" may suddenly cross your path.
In addition, security forces members will hand out glow sticks to ensure children are visible. Children are also encouraged to carry flashlights.
Suspicious activity reporting should be reported to the Law Enforcement Desk at 781-225-5000 or by calling the Crime Stop Hotline at 781-225-6920.